Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Day has came and gone...

One of my employee's and his wife came by and seen me on Wednesday at 10pm and handed me a bag with a 5.6 pound Prime Rib roast in it, complete with spuds, chicken dressing, (chicken dressing with Prime Rib? What am I missing with that? LOL) a can of corn. Just the rib, pigging out on it lasted for five nice meals. Thanks guys! It has been YEARS since I had a Rib.

To top it off, the roof started leaking at the shop and the roofing people won't be over to look at it until Tuesday or Wednesday to see what they are going to do with it.

Jason and I have talked about that problem several times over the years and the BEST way to fix it would be put a 5/1 metal roof over the flat leaking tar one. Put the high part on the West side and could lay a foot or more insulation on the flat roof before putting the stringers up and screwing the metal on. Kill two birds with one stone. Could surely do it cheaper than putting on a new flat tar roof. I've been there over thirty-two years and that flat roof has had so many thousands of dollars spent on it in that length of time. Hello??? Anyone home??? This is Oregon. Flat roofs don't work here worth a dang.


If they would put a sloped metal roof with eight half joists it could be insulated to R-40 or higher and NO MORE LEAKS. Use white metal roofing, which will lower the temperature by a large sum. I remember when I re-roofed my house, replacing a black three tab roof with a white three tab roof. Pulling down the attic door at Noon and shooting both sides of the peak with the IR thermometer opened my eyes. The WHITE half was on the East side, so it had been heating up in the Sun all morning and the BLACK side was the West side and the Sun hadn't been shining on it very long at Noon. Even being white, it should have been MUCH hotter than the black side since it had had sun shining on it all morning.

I thought something was wrong, so done the same test several days in a row at different times of the day. NOPE. The temperature of the white roofed side on the bottom side, radiating heat into the attic was over THIRTY DEGREES cooler than the side of the roof covered in black.

Yet I see nine out of ten putting on a black or dark roof when they re-roof. It takes away YEARS of life from the roof when they use a darker color and dumps all that extra heat into the attic on top of that. How stupid is that? I'll stick with white roofs, thank you.

No comments: